Communications and Fundraising Intern (Unpaid)
Purpose of Role:
ALONE is a national organisation who support older people to age at home. We provide direct, frontline services to people aged 60 and over, through the coordination of supports, volunteer activation, housing with support and the application of knowledge and technology. We have more than 1000 volunteers and 100 plus homes for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. We provide scalable, transferable, effective services that can be purchased, replicated or shared.
The ALONE Communications and Fundraising intern will assist the Communications and Fundraising Team with all aspects of communications, advertising and marketing. The ideal candidate would be energetic, hard-working, social media and web-savvy, and brimming with ideas about creative ways to engage audiences in ALONE’s mission. While helping with a wide range of projects, the successful intern will gain hands-on experience in many aspects of communications, while also gaining a good understanding of an independent non-profit organisation.
- Research and write relevant case studies from older people and volunteers.
- Input into messaging for ALONE campaigns.
- Attend meetings with communications and external PR agency where necessary.
- Support with the writing and distribution of newsletters (print and online).
- Update website and social media as required.
- Management of Google AdWords account.
- Media monitoring and recording of communications statistics.
- Recording and filing of research documents, news items, and ALONE coverage
- Ensure staff are familiar with and adhere to ALONE brand guidelines.
- Assist with planning and promotion of ALONE events.
- Assist in the design of template communication materials (e.g. corporate proposals, newsletters etc).
- Prepare letters and/or proposals for potential funders.
- Provide administrative support to the Fundraising & Communications Department (and ALONE generally), as required.
- Qualification in communications, multimedia, public relations or journalism an advantage
- Highly motivated person with a keen interest in older people’s issues.
- Proficient with online communications.
- Flexible, open, and dependable.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of video editing tools, WordPress and graphic design while not a requirement, would be desirable.
Places of work:
You will be based at our head offices at Pleasants Street except when duties assigned are of an outreach nature. Please note: expenses incurred for travel and other sundries will be reimbursed with all relevant receipts received.
Hours of work: (3 Days) – 6 Months contract
9am-5pm Monday – Friday (negotiable)
Support and Supervision:
You will receive a full Induction into the Organisation and each specific department prior to undertaking any duties. Your input will be valued and welcomed as a “fresh pair of eyes” and where possible we encourage you to make suggestions and provide feedback to staff. An assigned Mentor will be available to provide support and supervision during your placement and to review with you on a regular basis any concerns or issues arising.
Applications by email to include cover letter and CV to Maoiliosa.email@example.com to reach us no later than 28th September 2018.
Please note the above duties are not exhaustive and a level of flexibility is required in this role.
Senior Housing Development Officer
The exciting new role within ALONE Housing will work as part of the Housing Department’s management team. You will deliver on ALONE’s ambitious goal in expanding its housing portfolio through property acquisition/development of housing units nationally. Working with the Head of Housing you will lead the search, negotiation, funding, due diligence, procurement, design, on site and handover processes, legal, partnerships and stakeholder management from inception to completion.
ALONE currently have a housing stock of 116 units and are embarking on an ambitious development programme where we aim to grow to over 600 units, over the life of our new Strategic Plan. The aim is to generate a supply of new units (acquisitions, turnkey, new builds and refurbishments), support the delivery of the current pipeline and manage a portfolio of projects and relationships with key developers, AHB’s, Local Authorities and HSE across the country. ALONE report ‘Housing Choices for Older People, Time for Action’ 2018 sets out the need for choice in housing options for older people no matter where they live.
ALONE is a national organisation that supports older people to age at home. We work with people over the age of 60 to provide and coordinate access to any services they need. ALONE creates unique solutions for each older person working in partnership with all services, friends and family, giving them options for the type of support that’s best for them, regardless of their situation. Supported by volunteers, we offer a range of services including: Befriending, Housing with Support, Support Coordination, Technology, and Campaigns for Change. ALONE Housing with Support provides homes to older people who require a level of support. ALONE is an equal opportunity employer.
The Job (In line with the organisations Housing Strategy)
• Assess the housing needs of the older population in collaboration with stakeholders.
• Liaise directly with key partners at local and national level to bring all appropriate and available resources to development projects ensuring value for money and suitability of accommodation for client profile.
• Identify and source new property/sites opportunities and develop a pipeline of delivery of housing development in line with Strategic Plan.
• Complete feasibility reports and appraisals, develop the brief for new developments ensuring that all comply with ALONE development processes and those of key funders such as the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government and public procurement requirements.
• Project manage acquisition, construction or refurbishment processes, including budget, timeline, due diligence, stakeholder management and handover process to the Housing Manager.
• In collaboration with the finance department, manage funding applications to donors, private lenders and other agencies.
• Project Management of construction of new properties and the refurbishment of existing properties including commissioning scheme design, submissions for Board approval, attendance at site meetings, problem resolution and consultation with consultants, contractors and colleagues.
• Oversee the procurement and manage professional consultancy design teams, construction delivery teams either directly from approved supplier’s framework or through the appointed professional design team utilising public procurement processes.
• Working though appointed ‘design teams’ ensure that all planning and legislative contract documentation, planning negotiations and applications are in place and adhered to.
• Develop and maintain the approved supplier’s database for construction and refurbishment related disciplines including the regular review and assessment of performance.
• Ensure all housing projects are competently appraised to minimise risk exposure for the organisation.
• Develop partnerships with private and public organisations to ensure collaboration and partnership in delivery, collaborate with and develop knowledge sharing with stakeholders, including other Housing Associations and Local Authorities.
• Develop responses to Declarations of Interest or Tenders from Local Authorities, and Contractors/Developers.
• Ensure all necessary legal agreements are in place prior to any development on site and instruct solicitors on the purchase of properties, land and entering into contracts.
• Ensure that projects are achieved within schedule and budgets, quality standards, Health and Safety and agreed procedures.
• Manage and maintain ALONE’s housing development process documentation, with regular reports to the Head of Housing, SMT and for ALONE Board on housing development activity and progress.
• Work with the Head of Housing and Housing Manger in the development of the Asset Management Strategy.
• Represent the organisation on committees, sub-committees, conferences that will directly benefit the organisation.
• Take on other ad-hoc duties as required.
Skills and Background
Competencies include, industry knowledge, analysis and planning skills, communication and negotiation skills, team working, integrity and accountability.
Background in building / construction management, project management, quantity surveying or engineering. A third level qualification or experience in a property / construction related environment is desirable.
Experience of design and construction, Housing Development and Procurement, Social Housing funding schemes, Property acquisitions and/or construction processes.
Detailed knowledge of housing regulation and compliance requirements as well as up to date knowledge of social housing legislation and policy.
Experience in MS Word, MS Excel & MS Project (or equivalent). Experience in utilising project management software.
You’ll have an innovative and creative approach to housing development and commitment to providing choice for older people.
The position is located at our office in Dublin 8 with travel across Ireland. The salary range is €40,000 to €50,000 with 22 days annual leave and pension scheme. Role will require use of car for business purposes and Garda Vetting. Please send your CV and cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position remains open until filled.
Support Coordinator – ALONE Services
ALONE support older people to age at home. We provide direct, frontline services to people aged 60 and over, through the coordination of supports, volunteer activation, housing with support and the application of knowledge and technology. We have more than 1,000 volunteers and 100 plus homes for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. We have been awarded Quality Marks from Volunteer Ireland, the ISO, the Charities Regulator and the Housing Regulatory Standard.
You will hold responsibility for managing a complex caseload to support and advocate for services for older people in and across all care settings, to enable and empower older people to age well at home. This role will focus on ALONE’s Befriending, Support Coordination and Housing with Support Services. The area covered is South Dublin. The office location is based in Dublin 8 and much of the time is spent outside the office and working remotely.
- Manage and lead the response to complex cases including, but not limited to, issues regarding emotional wellbeing, housing issues, health difficulties and vulnerable persons at risk of abuse.
- Where necessary, carry out a comprehensive assessment with older people to ensure that all aspects of the older person’s circumstances are supported and that any risks are mitigated.
- Support volunteers, volunteer leaders and staff to work safely and to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with older people availing of our services.
- Maintain necessary confidentiality relating to the work of the service and regarding older people, staff and partner organisations and in line with guidance in the use of the ALONE Management Information System (MIS) and data protection policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain referral pathways to ALONE’s Support Coordination and Befriending services.
Skills and Background
Self-motivated person who is committed to ALONE’s mission is essential. Able to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality, discretion and respect is essential. High level communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to network and negotiate effectively with individuals and groups, is essential. Previous experience in social care settings is desirable. Report writing, computer literacy, with experience of using case management systems desirable. Excellent organisational, solution-focused and multi-tasking skills required.
General Requirements for all ALONE staff:
Work to enable older people to remain at home with quality of life and independence. Work professionally and confidentially and in line with ALONE’s rights and evidence based approach. Keep all records, data and reports up-to-date and make these available upon request. Participate in the development and implementation of all Quality Management System documents. Participate in the efficient flow of information within the organisation by sharing information as appropriate.
The position is full-time and dependent on annual funding. We work a minimum 35 hour work-week in a good environment. The salary range is €27,000 to €37,000 per year, depending on skills and experience. These terms are subject to change. Please send a letter of motivation and your CV to email@example.com. The position remains open until filled. ALONE is an equal opportunity employer.