Communications and Fundraising Intern
Purpose of Role:
ALONE is a national organisation who support older people to age at home. We provide direct, frontline services to people aged 60 and over, through the coordination of supports, volunteer activation, housing with support and the application of knowledge and technology. We have more than 1000 volunteers and 100 plus homes for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. We provide scalable, transferable, effective services that can be purchased, replicated or shared.
The ALONE Communications and Fundraising intern will assist the Communications and Fundraising Team with all aspects of communications, advertising and marketing. The ideal candidate would be energetic, hard-working, social media and web-savvy, and brimming with ideas about creative ways to engage audiences in ALONE’s mission. While helping with a wide range of projects, the successful intern will gain hands-on experience in many aspects of communications, while also gaining a good understanding of an independent non-profit organisation.
- Research and write relevant case studies from older people and volunteers.
- Input into messaging for ALONE campaigns.
- Attend meetings with communications and external PR agency where necessary.
- Support with the writing and distribution of newsletters (print and online).
- Update website and social media as required.
- Management of Google AdWords account.
- Media monitoring and recording of communications statistics.
- Recording and filing of research documents, news items, and ALONE coverage
- Ensure staff are familiar with and adhere to ALONE brand guidelines.
- Assist with planning and promotion of ALONE events.
- Assist in the design of template communication materials (e.g. corporate proposals, newsletters etc).
- Prepare letters and/or proposals for potential funders.
- Provide administrative support to the Fundraising & Communications Department (and ALONE generally), as required.
- Qualification in communications, multimedia, public relations or journalism an advantage
- Highly motivated person with a keen interest in older people’s issues.
- Proficient with online communications.
- Flexible, open, and dependable.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of video editing tools, WordPress and graphic design while not a requirement, would be desirable.
Places of work:
You will be based at our head offices at Pleasant Street except when duties assigned are of an outreach nature.
Hours of work: (3 / 5 Days) – 6/9 Months contract
9am-5pm Monday – Friday (negotiable)
Remuneration: ALONE pay €20 per day of the Internship
Support and Supervision:
You will receive a full Induction into the Organisation and each specific department prior to undertaking any duties. Your input will be valued and welcomed as a “fresh pair of eyes” and where possible we encourage you to make suggestions and provide feedback to staff. An assigned Mentor will be available to provide support and supervision during your placement and to review with you on a regular basis any concerns or issues arising.
Applications by email to include cover letter and CV to Maoiliosa.firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us no later than 30th November 2018.
Please note the above duties are not exhaustive and a level of flexibility is required in this role.
Support Coordinator – ALONE Services
ALONE support older people to age at home. We provide direct, frontline services to people aged 60 and over, through the coordination of supports, volunteer activation, housing with support and the application of knowledge and technology. We have more than 1,000 volunteers and 100 plus homes for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. We have been awarded Quality Marks from Volunteer Ireland, the ISO, the Charities Regulator and the Housing Regulatory Standard.
You will hold responsibility for managing a complex caseload to support and advocate for services for older people in and across all care settings, to enable and empower older people to age well at home. This role will focus on ALONE’s Befriending, Support Coordination and Housing with Support Services. The area covered is South Dublin. The office location is based in Dublin 8 and much of the time is spent outside the office and working remotely.
- Manage and lead the response to complex cases including, but not limited to, issues regarding emotional wellbeing, housing issues, health difficulties and vulnerable persons at risk of abuse.
- Where necessary, carry out a comprehensive assessment with older people to ensure that all aspects of the older person’s circumstances are supported and that any risks are mitigated.
- Support volunteers, volunteer leaders and staff to work safely and to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with older people availing of our services.
- Maintain necessary confidentiality relating to the work of the service and regarding older people, staff and partner organisations and in line with guidance in the use of the ALONE Management Information System (MIS) and data protection policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain referral pathways to ALONE’s Support Coordination and Befriending services.
Skills and Background
Self-motivated person who is committed to ALONE’s mission is essential. Able to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality, discretion and respect is essential. High level communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to network and negotiate effectively with individuals and groups, is essential. Previous experience in social care settings is desirable. Report writing, computer literacy, with experience of using case management systems desirable. Excellent organisational, solution-focused and multi-tasking skills required.
General Requirements for all ALONE staff:
Work to enable older people to remain at home with quality of life and independence. Work professionally and confidentially and in line with ALONE’s rights and evidence based approach. Keep all records, data and reports up-to-date and make these available upon request. Participate in the development and implementation of all Quality Management System documents. Participate in the efficient flow of information within the organisation by sharing information as appropriate.
The position is full-time and dependent on annual funding. We work a minimum 35 hour work-week in a good environment. The salary range is €27,000 to €37,000 per year, depending on skills and experience. These terms are subject to change. Please send a letter of motivation and your CV to email@example.com. The position remains open until filled. ALONE is an equal opportunity employer.